Make the most of your exam preparation with the best tools at your disposal, for that extra push you need to succeed! Having the proper study equipment can take your exam preparation to the next level, optimizing the way you study for your exams as well as writing them.
One of the most convenient tools every student must have in their exam arsenal is a reliable mechanical pencil. Combining the convenience and flexibility of a pencil with the precision of a pen, mechanical pencils offer a unique combination of form and function making it a popular choice for students and professionals alike. As a student, mechanical pencils can make your exam-taking process much more convenient in the following ways:-
1. Improve Precision: With a finer lead than traditional pencils, mechanical pencils allow for more precision, which is specially important for diagrams, charts, graphs and more. This makes markings and diagrams more legible and accurate. For precision and accuracy, mechanical pencils with 0.5mm lead are ideal, such as our bestselling Kaco Turbo Mechanical Pencil 0.5 available in a range of soothing pastels.
2. Neater Writing: Unlike wood-cased pencils that give inconsistent line widths depending on how blunt or sharp the pencil is, mechanical pencils give a consistent line width, leading to consistent writing and neater, more legible notes. This makes your answer scripts more legible for examiners, and can also make it easier for you to read and review your answers at a quick glance.
3. Minimize Distractions & Interruptions: Using a mechanical pencil can help minimize distractions, allowing you to focus on your examination. As mechanical pencils do not require sharpening, the interruption of sharpening a blunt or broken nib is eliminated, thus ensuring the flow of your ideas remains undisrupted.
4. Save Time: Every second is crucial for a student writing an examination. Making the simple switch to a mechanical pencil can save you the time you would spend on looking for a sharpener and then sharpening a pencil. Further, the attached eraser means you won’t have to waste time rummaging around for an eraser either!
5. Consistency: Unlike traditional pencils, mechanical pencils maintain their shape, size and weight, thus offering a consistent balance. This means you will not have to adjust to the changing balance of a pencil, thus helping you maintain a steady, consistent writing pace.
Now that you know how making a switch to mechanical pencils can make it so much more convenient to write your way to success, the next step is to find a mechanical pencil perfectly suited to your needs. With so many options to choose from, choosing the right mechanical pencil can be a daunting task. Read on for a few pointers on what factors to take into consideration before purchasing a mechanical pencil, from nib size, mechanism, mechanical pencil price, and more.
- Lead SizeThe foremost factor to consider while selecting a mechanical pencil is the lead size, as these are available in lead sizes ranging from 0.3mm to 2mm.
- For regular writing, 0.5mm mechanical pencil leads are ideal as they offer the perfect balance of precision and durability.
- If you tend to have a heavier grip, 0.7mm leads would be a better option as they are sturdier, such as the Rotring Visuclick Mechanical Pencil 0.7 mm or the Scikss Graph-X Mechanical Pencil 0.7mm.
- For more precise work such as architectural designs, mathematical graphs, etc, finer leads such as 0.3mm and 0.5mm are more suitable. For such precision work, you cannot go wrong with the Staedtler Mars Micro 0.3 mm Mechanical Pencil.
- If you are looking for mechanical pencils for drawing, opt for wider leads such as 0.7mm, 0.9mm or even 2mm for bolder strokes, and smaller widths for more detailed work.
- Grip:A comfortable grip is important to avoid hand fatigue and cramping while writing lengthy papers. You can choose from rubber, silicon, knurled metal, or even wooden grips. Some mechanical pencils also feature a triangular grip, which is a good option for those who are used to the triangular grip of a traditional pencil. The Lamy Safari Mechanical Pencil 0.5 incorporates its chiseled triangular grip as part of its iconic design, guiding your grip into an ergonomic tripod position.
- While deciding on a grip for your mechanical pencil, keep in mind that a grip that is too soft will be prone to slipping and sliding, while a harder grip may cause fatigue and discomfort if used for long periods. Therefore, make sure to choose a mechanical pencil with a grip suited to your grip strength and writing style.
Durability: Another important factor to consider while choosing the right mechanical pencil, especially for examinations, is durability. A pencil that malfunctions or breaks can cost you valuable time and points. Thus, it is wiser to invest in a durable, sturdy mechanical pencil made of high-quality materials.
The Pentel Graphgear 1000 Mechanical Pencil is a durable option as it features a dual-action retractor to protect the lead and a metal grip for added durability. The “lead-safe” Zebra Delguard Mechanical Pencil 0.5mm uses an ingeniously engineered two-part system to protect lead from both vertical and sideways pressure, thus protecting the lead no matter how it’s held.
- Price: From an examination point of view, it is ideal to find a mechanical pencil that strikes the right balance between quality and affordability.
Here are some of Scooboo’s top picks to help you ace your exams!
1. Uniball Kuru Toga Mechanical Pencil 0.5mm: An innovative and unique writing tool that offers a revolutionary lead rotation mechanism, ensuring that the pencil's lead is always sharp, thus providing a consistent and smooth writing experience. Its ergonomic metal grip and well-balanced build make it comfortable to use for longer durations.
2.Rotring 600 Mechanical Pencil 0.5mm GB: Renowned for its durability and precision, it features a fixed lead guidance sleeve to prevent breakage. Its sturdiness, accuracy and ease of use make it an excellent investment for students and professionals alike.
3. Sun Star Nicolo Double Mechanical Pencil: Featuring an ingenious dual-lead mechanism, this mechanical pencil accommodates two lead sizes in one pencil. Switch from 0.3mm to 0.5mm simply with a twist. This makes it a cost-effective, time-saving solution, ideal for students.
Considering the above factors can make the process of picking the right mechanical pencil for exams much easier. Remember to choose a mechanical pencil that feels comfortable and well-balanced, and meets your requirements. By investing in the right writing tools, you invest in your success!