Fountain pens are a classic example of expression and exploration. You do not use a fountain pen, you let the ink flow making beautiful and enticing alphabets on a piece of paper. They make the experience of writing letters, gift cards, doing calligraphy pleasing.
Fountain pens do not have a being in fashion necessity. Classics are classics for their exquisite nature. As lovely an experience, it is to hold a fountain pen, it is a delicate task to clean it.
We are here to teach you the right way to clean your fountain pen so that you can save it as your heritage and give it to your next generation, intonating all the things you ever wrote with them.
Cleaning the Nib:
- Open the fountain pen by unscrewing to separate the nib from the barrel. If your pen has a cartridge, carefully remove it and store it.
- Run cool water through the nib until all the ink comes out and the water flowing through the nib is clear.
- Put the nib in vinegar or ammonia solution for a few hours to get rid of all the dried-up ink. Be careful about this step. Do not use ammonia on pens with aluminium parts. This is an optional step. If your pen nib is cleaned after the second step, you are good to go.
- Rest the nib on a paper towel to remove extra ink and water from it. Your pen nib is ready to be re-assembled.
Cleaning the Converter:
- After separating the converter from the pen, run water through it in a small amount. Shake if necessary and dry it on a paper towel.
- Fill it with new ink and it is ready to be attached to the body.
- If your pen has an ink cartridge, then you can either re-use it or replace it with a new one.
Cleaning the barrel and outer body:
- Clean the outer body of your fountain pen with cold water. You can use a mild dishwasher with the help of a clean microfiber towel.
- You can clean the outer body with a light vinegar solution with a dishwasher. Make sure the metals do not react with the vinegar.
- Wash it thoroughly with cold water.
- Let it dry on a clean paper towel.
- Your pen is now ready to be assembled. Put together all the parts of your fountain pen and you are ready to begin writing again
Storage of your Fountain Pen:
- Keep the cap on when you are not using the pen. This will protect your pen from drying out.
- Keep the pen in an upright position.
- Keep the pen away from direct sunlight to prevent exposure and drying out.
- If you are not going to use the pen for a long time, make sure to clean it and remove the ink before storing it. You can store it horizontally at this point if you want.
These few simple steps will help you keep your fountain pen clean and ready to use for important letters, cards, calligraphy sessions, etc. A clean pen will give rise to a stress-relieving experience. Tell us how do you clean your fountain pen? And whether you use a fountain pen for all the beautiful writing you need to do.